Currently (and for the past several years), the Department of Geography employs hourly academic student employees (ASEs) in only the following job titles and classifications:
- Reader/Grader – 10886 – non-teaching/research academic assistance
- Graduate Research Student Assistant (Summer only) – 10854 – research
In both classifications, the department pays graduate student ASEs an hourly rate based on the equivalent 50% FTE rate for the student’s academic level that is in effect during the period of work. This rate is calculated by multiplying the monthly salary for a 50% FTE (schedule 1) Research Assistant by three and then dividing the product by 220.
Department of Geography hourly graduate student ASE payrates are the same as those listed in the UW Graduate School's Salary Schedule for summer quarter GRSAs (pdf). They are the hourly equivalent of the schedule 1 rates under “Regular (Non-Variable Rate) TA/RA/SA Salary Schedule."
For the period 7/1/2019 through 6/30/2020, those hourly ASE payrates are as follows:
- $32.56 per hour for Premasters level
- $35.00 per hour for Intermediate (post-MA, pre-Candidate) level
- $37.61 per hour for Candidate level