Presenters usually speak for about 45-50 minutes. The presentation is followed by a short Q and A and then a reception, which sometimes extends to conversations over refreshments off campus. The day of talk, guest speakers meet for discussion and lunch with graduate students prior to the colloquium. We also like to offer a sign-up sheet for brief (30 minute) meetings with individual students and faculty members on Friday morning if possible. We can also help you coordinate with faculty or students with whom you would like to meet on Friday morning.
- Pick up at airport by a graduate student or faculty member.
- Individual meetings with graduate students and faculty in the morning (schedule will be provided when we see you on Thursday).
- Lunch and discussion with graduate students. Speakers often send a short piece of writing for students to read ahead of time. Discussion is informal and often focuses on topics such as academia and activism, career advice, work/life balance, teaching experience, life in the university, and the inspiration behind our work.
- Free time and preparation for colloquium.
- Colloquium Presentation at 3:30 p.m. in Smith 304. The department provides use of a lap top and projector for the presentation.
- Reception in Smith 411.
Speakers depart on Saturday.
We would like to videotape your presentation and request your written permission to do this so that those interested and unable to attend will be able to see and hear it.
Colloquium Visit Checklist
- Talk title and abstract to Colloquium Committee
- Permission for Colloquium Committee record talk and post on UW Geography website
- Reimbursement form to Parwati Martin (see below)
- Optional reading for graduate student brown bag lunch
Getting Around Seattle
Seattle Public Transportation
Seattle’s network of buses and light rail (located downtown) can help you get many places from the University. Check out the King County Metro website for details. Be sure to take advantage of their “Trip Planner”.
Rates are set by King County, so rates are the same for each taxi company.
For those staying in a hotel, reservations will be made on your behalf by the Department of Geography at Hotel Deca. Hotel Deca is located at 4507 Brooklyn Ave NE, just a short walk from the UW campus.
Reimbursement and Honorarium
fax it to her attention at 206.543.3313. If you’d prefer to give your social security number to her directly, call:
Smith 408-Main Office
phone (206) 221-4824
fax (206) 543-3313