Lab Information & Hours
The Drop-In Laboratory (Smith 415), Collaboratory (Smith 415C), and Sherman Lab (Smith 401) each contain Windows PCs running a suite of common GIS and office software. A valid UW NetID is required for login. See the list of available software for details.
The Collaboratory and Sherman Labs also host courses. The Sherman Lab may be used during scheduled course times ONLY at the instructor’s discretion. Visit the Geography Calendaring page for to view lab course schedules and reservations.
Note: The Sherman Lab is closed for re-design until mid-November 2019. The Collaboratory and Drop-In will remain open.
Fall, Winter, and Spring academic quarters:
- Monday through Thursday: 8:15 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Friday: 8:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Saturday: Closed
- Sunday: Noon to 5 p.m.
During Summer A/B sessions, only the Drop-In Lab is available:
- Monday through Friday: 8:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Saturday, Sunday: Closed.
Labs are closed on all University holidays and during breaks.
Need help? Lab technical support is available. If you are having trouble with a computer in one of the labs, email email@example.com. Please include the workstation name (see label on the front or right side of the PC) along with any error messages and a description of the problem.
To view lab course schedules and reservations, view the Geography Calendaring page.
Resources for Grads and Faculty
Room reservations and equipment checkout calendars. To schedule courses or other events in Smith Hall rooms 401, 409, and 415C, contact Nell Gross (firstname.lastname@example.org).
UW Classroom Services
Contact UW IT Facilities for information about classroom equipment, keys, or problem reporting for non-Geography classrooms.
Server and Cloud-Based Resources
Other UW-IT Resources
- Google Apps
- Microsoft Exchange
- Software Resources
- UW Bookstore Tech Center: Hardware and software discounts.
- UW Student Technology Loan Program: for STUDENTS ONLY.
- Center for Studies in Demography and Ecology (CSDE): Data and remote computing resources.
- Center for Social Science Computation and Research (CSSCR): Data, labs, training, and statistical consulting.